Future AIXM version 5.2
AIXM 5.2 is scheduled for publication in Q2 2019, with a first Release Candidate expected in March 2019. This page contains information about the AIXM Change Control Board (CCB) work in progress and will be updated regularly with information about issues that are being discussed, change proposals, publication calendar, etc.
24 September 2018
Main work areas
A total of 157 “issues” have been recorded in the JIRA tool used by the CCB and it is estimated that other 30-40 issues might be considered in the AIXM 5.2 update process. The following chart shows a distribution of these issues per topic:
Note: some issues are associated with more than one topic.
These issues range from small/localized bugs and improvements (such as corrections to definitions of terms), to new capabilities such as support for free route airspace data and an extensive model for seaplane landing areas.
None of these issues was identified as a blocking point for the use of AIXM 5.1 in the coding of the digital data sets prescribed by the revised ICAO Annex 15 (AIP data sets, Instrument Flight Procedures Data sets, Obstacle data sets, Airport mapping data sets). However, the AIXM 5.2 version will certainly facilitate the provision of the new data sets, in particular for the Instrument Flight Procedures Data Sets.
Another objective for AIXM 5.2 is to improve the interoperability of aeronautical data (AIXM) with the flight data (FIXM) domain and with the MET data (iWXXM) domain. This includes the introduction of the "deprecation" mechanism for features/properties that are no longer used or are replaced by a new concept, where a common approach was agreed in a cross-XM coordination effort.
A first batch was launched for approval by the CCB members by end of September 2018, as follows:
- AIXM-343 - AIXM version naming policy
- AIXM-245 - Namespace policy for new AIXM versions
- AIXM-344 - Rules for deprecation
- AIXM-337 - Design standard extended to additional features
- AIXM-322 - Obstacle visual marking new property
- AIXM-341 - Navigation equipment capability additional values
- AIXM-142 - Correct association cardinalities
- AIXM-318 - Runway side additional value
- AIXM-319 - Aerodrome surface composition additional value
- AIXM-321 - Aerodrome surface preparation additional values
- AIXM-338 - Aerodrome surface condition values clarification
- AIXM-339 - Runway marking type additional value
- AIXM-340 - Aerodrome type additional values
- AIXM-342 - Add ICAO Country code to DesignatedPoint and Navaid
The complete descriptions of these change proposals and the result of the CCB consultation will be made available here around end September.
This will be followed by two or three more batches of AIXM change proposals, until the publication of the first AIXM 5.2 Release Candidate around March 2019.